In the surprisingly quaint capital, one of the best places to go is the Old Town. There, international cafes and restaurants line the stone-paved streets, which lead to the Main Square (or Hlavné námestie, in Slovak). When we were visiting the city, we even had the chance to enjoy a lively concert performed by a military group.
Michael's Gate: The Gate (in the distance) was one of the four city gates during Medieval Times. It got its name from the St. Michael's Church, which rested outside the city walls. It is the only standing city gate. Slovakia has its kilometer zero right under the tower, shown by a gold ring in the ground.
Bratislava Castle: The Castle was built in the late ninth century. It housed many rulers, including Queen Maria Theresa. In 1804, the castle was used as military quarters. In 1809, it was bombarded by Napolean's troops and in 1811, a large fire broke out, destroying the entire castle. It wasn't until 1953 that a reconstruction began.
Bratislava Castle facing the Gardens: Queen Maria Theresa had promised the nobles that, as Queen of Hungary, she would spend time in then-Hungary. She did but she had the castle redone in the most modern (at the time) style, the baroque style.
Bratislava Castle Garden: The Garden was added on Maria Theresa's request. It was done in the French style.
Old Town Hall: One of the oldest stone buildings of the city still standing. It is easily recognizable by its colored roof and today houses the Bratislava city museum.
Grassalkovich Palace: The President's Palace was built in 1760 for Hungarian aristocrat Antal Grassalkovich. Being a close friend of the aristocrat, Maria Theresa used the Palace for various balls and parties. While the Slovakian President does not live in the Palace, it continues to be used for important ceremonies. (It's only open to the public one day during the year, sometime in June.)